Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014 in Books, Music + Films

I was going to begin this post with a lovely, decorated list of goals for 2015. I was planning to write it out in a nice handwriting and take a photo of it. Then I thought hang on, what exactly would go on this list? There isn't really a point in setting out a list of goals for myself because I'm just so not going to stick to it. I have a blog planning journal with scheduled posts in that I haven't opened for months! Actually no, I can think of one. Drink more water. There that's my goal for the whole of next year and I bet I find it difficult to stick to just that one!

So I'm gonna skip right ahead to my round up of the books, music and films that have filled my 2014. You may be inspired to seek some of these out for yourself and if you've already discovered some or all of these, I'd love to hear what you thought of them.

What I read:

  • Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell - I love depression era Americana
  • F**k It Therapy by John C. Parkin - The second F It book. I can't recommend the first book enough. Everyone should read it! 
  • Invisible Man by Ralph Emerson - Meh
  • Jewellery & Silversmithing Techniques by Carles Codina - I did an evening course in silversmithing and would love to make my own jewellery so I like these kinds of books.
  • The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley - Whoa
  • Love Is A Dog From Hell by Charles Bukowski - Not for those of a sensitive disposition!
  • On The Road by Jack Kerouac - Made me want to drink, smoke and travel
  • Selected Poems by W. B. Yeats - Love a bit of Yeats

Currently Reading:
  • Ten Years In An Open Necked Shirt by John Cooper Clarke - Evidently chicken town..
  • Games People Play by Eric Berne, M. D. - Absolutely fascinating
  • A Matter Of Life And Death: Inside The Hidden World Of The Pathologist - I'm very interested in post mortem activity and so I like to read books like this to teach myself.

What I listened to: 
Top ten artists:



Top ten tracks: 



You can see more and follow me on last.fm here.


What I watched:


  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Ben Stiller 4/5
  • Do The Right Thing Spike Lee 5/5
  • Dallas Buyers Club Jean-Marc Vallee 4/5
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel Wes Anderson 4/5
  • Trees Lounge Steve Buscemi 3/5
  • Bringing Out The Dead Martin Scorsese 4/5
  • Under The Skin Jonathan Glazer 2/5
  • The Big Sleep Howard Hawks 5/5
You can see more and follow me on Mubi here


Well that's that, I can't believe I only watched 8 films in one year!? Must improve on that in 2015. That's what I love about these websites that correlate data about your habits for you. It's actually quite surprising how much you end up over or under estimating about yourself. It's fascinating!



Anyway, much love to all who've been a part of my 2014, to old friends and new. Hope you all have a brilliant 2015 and don't get too drunk tonight!


oxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment