Monday 3 February 2014

Sheffield General Cemetery




This weekend I had a lovely walk around the ever tranquil General Cemetery of Sheffield. It's certainly not the first time I've been but one thing I planned to do this time was explore the sweet little winding pathways. One thing I love about this place is how overgrown it is. Not only does it make it a great place for wildlife but I always think that since the people themselves have returned to the earth, so too have the graves. 
I hope to find a place not too far from it when I move her permanently. 

The Cemetery opened in 1836 and quickly filled due to the industrial revolution, finally closing for burials in 1978. It holds thousands of people, rich and poor, including Mark Firth the steel baron of Sheffield and George Bassett who brought Liquorice Allsorts into the world! 



It's a really gorgeous place. If you're a grave lover like me it's definitely worth a visit.

"Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace."
                                                                                                                                           - O. Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment