Wednesday 29 June 2016

Kilmuir Cemetery, Isle of Skye


Okay so I totally forgot about this post from the gang's holiday to the Isle of Skye back in March! Whoops. Never mind, it's being posted now!
So after a solid three days of climbing Munros, walking through valleys and finding skulls on the sides of mountains (oh yes!) - I spent the last day on my own on what became a tour of the Island's cemeteries.
The first two I saw on this day were a roadside cemetery and then St. Columba's Isle which you can read about here.
The last one was Kilmuir cemetery which I almost decided against as it was right on the coast at the very top of the Island. I read a bit about it online though and thought when am I next gonna be here? and so I went.
It was such a beautiful drive up there and on the way I stopped in the little seaside town of Portree for some lunch. A kinda weird coincidence also happened. In the car I was listening to Bob Dylan's album Time Out Of Mind and the last song is called Highlands. The weird thing is that he sings about doing everything I was doing. Being in Scotland obviously, about how he's travelling around and stops in a cafe and also mentions how it must be a holiday because there's no one around. It was bank holiday Monday when I was out too! 
Haha anyway, the cemetery...











It's the resting place of Flora MacDonald who is famous for having helped Bonnie Prince Charlie leave the island and escape capture after the Battle of Culloden in 1746.







oxoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment