Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Listeners


I want to share with you something very special to me.
I was recently given as a gift from my mother, the original design for an embroidery of the Walter De La Mare poem 'The Listeners'.

It's an incredibly haunting poem of a traveller returning to a house deliver a message and finding nobody to receive it. However he is heard by something within the house...





I've framed it because it means so much to me. It was done by my late aunty Kathryn 23 years ago. She put so much work into it, designing the border so it flows and reflects perfectly around the edge - notice the W and M at the top and bottom - so it couldn't be more unique. One of my cousins has the completed embroidery somewhere which I've never seen but would love to.

My mum gave this to me seeing as it was made in 1991 when I was born. I'm so grateful that it's been passed down to me and that I've been trusted to take care of it. I absolutely will, as you can see I've displayed it proudly on the wall.

It may not seem like much to some people, but for me, to have a piece of art, the only one in existence that's been created by someone who's no longer in the world is amazing. Someone of my own family too, and having been so close to my mother - they were identical twins, makes it very special to me. She's still being appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment